These rhyming word cards are a wonderful way to develop phonemic awareness skills with your preschool and kindergarten children. They are a great resource for exploring rhyming words and word families with your little learner. They’re also a wonderful resource for creating rhyming sentences!
- ‘I can match rhyming words’ mat with space to lay down the matching pairs of cards.
- ‘I can find rhyming word pairs’ printable for students to write their matching pairs in each rectangle.
- ‘I can write rhyming sentences’ printable for students to use their pair to write a rhyming sentence.
- 24 pairs of rhyming word cards (see below for the pairs)
Recognising and being able to rhyme words is an early phonological skill that prepares our little learners for beginning to read! There is countless research showing that children who have well developed phonemic awareness skills with go on to be great readers!
These cards can be differentiated to meet the various needs of your children.
Younger learners can simply find two matching pairs and display them on the rhyming mat. Starting with just three pairs and slowly building up to more cards as your little learner gains confidence.
Older learners can record their rhyming pairs on the recording sheets or even write rhyming stories using the two cards. See the preview for an example!
Rhyming pairs include dot and pot; mop and hop; log and dog; cob and sob; fix and mix; sit and pit; dip and zip; bin and tin; pig and dig; jet and vet; hen and ten; bed and red; car and far; map and nap; fan and pan; ham and ram; bag and tag; sad and pad; cat and rat; run and sun; bug and rug; mud and bud; cub and tub; fox and box.
You might also like these rhyming products:
- Write the Room activity
- Rhyming Stories activity sheets
- Word Family Rhyming Books
- Word Family Houses
Please be sure to check out the preview images to see what’s included inside this resource.
Happy playful memory making!