Dramatic Play is a great way to develop oral language skills, cooperation, content vocabulary and social skills in your early childhood classroom!
Use this packet to set up a Farm in your dramatic play space. It doesn’t need to cost a lot of money, in fact you probably have a lot of resources already around the classroom or home that you can use! You might even like to ask your students to help collect objects they can use!
In order to save you some time preparing signs, labels and printables for your imaginative play, I’ve created a bunch of wonderful printables ready to use in your Farm themed role-play area!
Included in this packet:
- Several pages of set up inspiration!
- Suggested materials to collect
- ‘The farm’ and ‘Farmyard’ bunting
- 2 x Welcome to our farm signs with photos
- ‘Meet your farmer’ signs with girl and boy versions
- Large and small animal labels (cat, dog, cow, horse, pig, sheep, goat, rabbit, chicken, chick, rooster, goose, bee hive, worm farm, duck, turkey)
- Small fruit and vegetable labels (peach, apple, raspberry, strawberry, pear, banana, watermelon, orange, carrot, peas, corn, beans, pumpkin, lettuce, tomato, potato, spinach, cherries, blueberry, blackberry, pineapple, grapes, cauliflower, plum, radish, zucchini, turnip, mushroom, cucumber, eggplant, leek, lemon)
- Large ‘ Fruit’ and ‘Vegetable’ label
- Large labels for hay, compost, tools, animal care, seeds, animal food)
- Small labels for equipment (soil, wheel barrow, seeds, watering can, spade, rake, hand spade, shovel, broom, trash, hose, basket, water, hats, checklist, animal food)
- Small labels for animal care (scissors, bucket, gloves, soap, toothpaste, toothbrush, brush, towel)
- Parts of a Tractor sign (with tyre and tire spelling)
- Tractor Crossing sign
- Animal Crossing sign
- Warning signs
- Rainwater sign
- ‘What can I compost?’ informative sign
- Farm checklists for checking animals (with pictures and blank)
- Fruit seed packets (peach, apple, pear, banana, orange, watermelon, raspberry, strawberry, blueberry)
- Vegetable seed packets (carrot, peas, corn, beans, pumpkin, lettuce, tomato, potato, cucumber)
- Animal tags blank and with pictures including US and UK spelling for the word color/colour
- Animal food labels for making food bags or containers
- Job tags (Farmer, Farmhand, Bee Keeper)
- ‘How to collect honey’ poster
- Animal Report printable (colour and B&W)
- Animal Report Printable with blank boxes so you can create your own custom reports
- Crop Report printable (colour and B&W)
- Crop Report Printable with blank boxes so you can create your own custom reports
- Animal and Crop reports for advanced writers to fill in
- Farm vocabulary mat
All labels and signs include both AUS and US spelling and vocabulary!
Your little learners will develop fine motor skills as they plant seeds and harvest fruits and vegetables from their garden. They will learn about the importance of composting and sustainability through playtime. Your little learners will also have the opportunity to explore where their food comes from. This packet would work beautifully along a unit around sustainability, farm to plate and farming.
As your little learners explore their farm, they’ll also develop early reading and writing skills. They will begin to recognise familiar words and extend their vocabulary as they become familiar with the labels. The animal and crop reports are a wonderful way to encourage pre-writing!
Play-based learning is full of opportunities to learn and explore!
Inside the packet, you’ll find a list of suggested materials and set up ideas so all you need to do is print and go – the hard work has been done for you.
Happy playful learning!
Please note that this is a DIGITAL product and that no physical product will be delivered. You will be able to download the PDF files at any time by logging into your account after purchase.